www.trackincats.com Forum Index www.trackincats.com
Discussions about predatory cats.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PGC orders death sentence for this baby 6/12/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: PGC orders death sentence for this baby 6/12/08 Reply with quote

We read and hear stories every day that affect our lives. This story has me on fire. Evil or Very Mad The PGC and leader Jerry Feaser continue to be the biggest morons I have ever encountered Exclamation . Pennsylvania's wild life is being run by executioners. They want to kill every deer in the state, no matter the age, size or situation. Idea Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
This is another inhuman, disgusting, unnecessary, heartbreaking story due to the ethics of the people working for the PGC. Idea

I don't know how these people sleep at night. Arrow

I guess their pay checks and power provide all their happiness.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr................

Cougardaville Rolling Eyes

Man rescues orphan fawn; state kills it
By KATHARINE HARMON
Evening Sun Reporter
Article Launched: 06/12/2008 10:09:07 AM EDT

This fawn, whose mother was hit and killed by a car, was taken in by William Albert, of New Oxford, after one of his employees found it in Maryland. A Pennsylvania Game Commission officer eventually euthanized it, sparking complaints from Albert. (Submitted)
Purchase reprints of Evening Sun Photos at EveningSunPhotos.Com. A New Oxford man thought he was saving a fawn when he scooped it up off a road in Maryland and took it home to nurse it back to health after its mother was hit by a car.

William Albert bottle-fed the fawn in his 218 Reba Drive garage and called around to see if any wildlife-rehabilitation centers would take the baby deer.

Albert also called the Pennsylvania Game Commission to help him find a place to send the deer, but when a wildlife officer showed up at his house a short while later, he took the deer and had it killed.

Now, Albert says the officer - who arrived at the house before Albert did, just 10 minutes after Albert called - was on his property without his permission or a warrant, and the deer definitely shouldn't have been destroyed.

Albert said he met with a lawyer to discuss what claims, if any, he had against the officer, whom Albert said came onto his property after being let in by Albert's 13-year-old daughter Amber.

The fawn was destroyed later that day, after Albert received a call that a farm two hours away in Maryland would take the fawn.

Albert works in Maryland and said he rescued the fawn after one of his employees found it beside his garage. The deer's mother had been hit by a car.

Albert said the fawn lay beside the garage for nearly an entire day and was unable to walk much, so he volunteered to bring the deer home and try to save it.

Salespeople at Tractor Supply Co. suggested a formula Albert could feed

the deer, and it started taking it from a bottle. It was eating well, Albert said, and it became strong and looked very healthy.
When the officer arrived at Albert's house before Albert did, he called Albert and said he wouldn't tell the children the deer would be killed. But Albert said Amber overheard the conversation and cried for almost five hours.

His 7-year-old daughter Savannah asks every day if the deer is coming back, but Albert said he doesn't want to tell her what really happened.

Because of the he-said, she-said situation, Albert said his attorney advised him to write a letter of complaint to the game commission and let them investigate the situation.

After the investigation is closed, Albert should come back to him to consider possible claims against the officer, his attorney advised.

Jerry Feaser, press secretary for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, said if a wild animal has been out of the wild for more than a few hours, it's the commission's policy to kill it.

A reputable deer farm wouldn't have taken the deer anyway, Feaser said, because the dealer wouldn't have any assurance the deer was healthy, and afflictions like chronic wasting disease can spread to all other animals and kill them, he added.

Acknowledging that it sounded unsympathetic, Feaser said if the animal was left alone and was attacked by a predator, it was nature's course.

"Nature wastes nothing," Feaser said. "That's just the way it works.

"When humans interfere, regardless of how well-meaning and well-intentioned they are, they're disrupting nature's cycle," he said.

Feaser said Albert was breaking state law when he brought the deer in, and he could have been fined up to $1,500.

"The bottom line is you're not allowed to take wildlife out of the wild," Feaser said.

The fact that Albert brought the deer from Maryland to New Oxford is a federal offense, Feaser added. The officer didn't issue any citations because he determined Albert had good intentions bringing the animal home to nurture, Feaser said.

Besides being illegal, Feaser said it's not a good idea to bring wild animals home because they might have ticks, parasites or other diseases that can infect everyone in the house.

He added that people who see a fawn in the wild without its mother impose their "human parental behavior" on the animals.

"The fact of the matter is we were called about an issue and we responded," Feaser said.

Contact Katharine Harmon at kharmon@eveningsun.com.

http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_9562601?source=most_viewed

Bearman58
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of heartless a--holes Evil or Very Mad NY at least, recognizes the PR value of allowing orphaned wildlife to be rehabbed. Maybe it doesn't have much impact on the wildlife population, but ut certainly is a reflection on us when we "impose human parental behavior" on a baby, or injured, animal.
Cougardaville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearman58 wrote:
What a bunch of heartless a--holes Evil or Very Mad NY at least, recognizes the PR value of allowing orphaned wildlife to be rehabbed. Maybe it doesn't have much impact on the wildlife population, but ut certainly is a reflection on us when we "impose human parental behavior" on a baby, or injured, animal.

Well said Bearman.. Smile

I do as much work in Pa. as I do NY...I always end up saying to myself..."Glad I am in NY"...and good thing for Pa. "I am not there Exclamation "

The USP is trying very hard to change much of the PGC...they are a great bunch of people, and I am confident they will "win the war"

(can you imagine, they said the fawn could carry CWD, that is their excuse for killing every deer).......solid jerks Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Rolling Eyes

bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone, everyone, should remind the PGC that WE pay their salaries.

We should also explain to them that wildlife belongs to the public. This is not England.

They also very LOUDLY should be reminded that this is America. We fought a WAR to keep "all the Kings men" off our property. Coming in to someones yard at the invitation of a child is a poor excuse for being there.

Besides the fact that they are DISGUSTING and DISPICABLE FOR killing that fawn, they have no respect for property rights. Mad

bbones
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way I am a federal law breaker. I took an injured game bird across the state line to a rehab. Rolling Eyes
Bloodhounds
Expert Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a sad thing, Sad when you can't trust people in authority.

I am also glad I am in NY and I personally know a fawn raiser. Although the other year when there was a chronic wasting case discovered the state guys did come and kill all the fawns she was raising at the time. all tested negative. She is usually very successful raising and releasing fawns. They to tend to hang around her house for a few months after weaning but they do leave and live as wild deer should.

Bloodhound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.trackincats.com Forum Index -> The Hunted All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: